This post was a long time coming! I’ve finally finished, blocked, photographed, and mailed this little number off to Japan. Did you know it costs $15 to mail a 9oz package from New Jersey to Tokyo? Yikes! Good thing I didn’t make anything heavier! :)
First things first. It’s Raveled here (cardigan) and here (lovey).
The weather was terribly windy, so this is the only outdoor shot I could get. Plus, my dog decided to escape our backyard fence (again) while I was trying to shoot, so that was the end of that.
The vintage button I’ve been saving for years. I’m so happy to finally use it!
My very first sewn button loop. Loved the result and will be using this technique again.
Inside tie. I opted for ribbon rather than an icord.
The quilted lattice stitch. Very easy to do.
My monogrammed tag for Baby Quinn.
The gift set.
The adorable elephant lovey.
The hand stitched binding. A decent mitered corner. It’ll do.
It took me 2 days to stitch this Q. Ah, motherhood. I’m hoping to
Back in February of 2011 BK (Before Kids), I didn’t bat an eye at spending an entire day’s worth of crafting time on Hubby’s Valentine. I even took step-by-step photos for a tutorial of sorts.
I thought maybe now that I actually have followers, you guys might like to peruse some “vintage” SaraCrafts. :)
I had started dabbling in embroidery. This was my second attempt at it and I used some plain, ivory fabric and skeins of embroidery floss I had lying around. I think I found the design on Flickr somewhere (just search for embroidery patterns).
Be Mine- Part 1
Be Mine- Part 2
Be Mine- Part 3
So there you have it! The absolute prettiest Valentine I ever gave.
Hubby’s valentine is finished… and I love it!
Here are all the details so you can make one too:
* cotton fabric
* embroidery thread
* glue stick (I used Elmer’s Heavy Duty)
* cardboard (from a cereal box, snack food box, etc)
* piece of heavy paper (32lb)
I re-cut the cardboard... it was backwards... oops.
The cardboard was cut about 1/4″ smaller than the embroidered fabric. I glued the fabric to the cardboard and pushed all the air bubbles out with a knitting needle to make it nice and smooth.
- The back.
The edges of the fabric got clipped and glued to the back of the cardboard.
Using that handy dandy glue stick, I stuck the fabric-wrapped cardboard onto a piece of heavy paper. Then, I trimmed the paper to the shape of the valentine.
French knots for the center of the flowers.
All ready to write a message on the back... no peeking!
I am so indecisive when it comes to choosing colors! I finally picked blue for the flower since a shade of pink would have looked too girly. The center of the flower is a bunch of closely spaced french knots. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the “petals”of the flowers, but I’m really happy with the way the spiraling running stitch turned out. It kinda looks like a rose or carnation…kinda.
Now I just need to figure out how to finish it. I’m thinking cardboard will be involved. Stay tuned!
Because I can’t help but make Hubby something for Valentine’s Day…